Novi Grad (Serbian Cyrillic: Нови Град) is a town and municipality located in the northern portion of Republika Srpska, an entity of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The town is situated on the Una river on the border with Croatia (opposite the town of Dvor). As of 2013, it has a population of 27,115 inhabitants.
The town was once known as Bosanski Novi.
The municipality of Novi Grad is situated in the northwestern part of Republika Srpska at 45.14°N 45.53°E. It has an area of 470 km2 (180 sq mi). The municipality lies between the Sana and Una rivers, between the mountains of Grmeč and Kozara. The climate is temperate continental.
The town was first mentioned in 1280 under the Latin name Castrum Novum which, literally translated, means ‘new fort’. In 1895, during Austro-Hungarian rule in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the town was officially given the name ‘Bosanski Novi’. At the same time, the city included around 3,300 people with 550 households. Wooden bridges existed across the Una and Sana rivers which the citizens had to guard against floods in the autumn and spring. For that reason, a current-day symbol of the town was built in 1906—the Una quay.
In 1872, Novi Grad was the first municipality to have a train station on the new Bosnian railway, which afforded it significant cultural and economic advantages over other Krajina municipalities. The first hospital was established around the same time.
The economy is based on a few industries and a number of private firms. Novi Grad has notable potential in tourism, wood processing, food production and management of water resources.
2,927 total views